Monday, January 21, 2013

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Date released: October 23rd, 2012
Pages: 544
Cover: 5/5 stars
Plot: 4.5/5 stars

Note: the summary is excluded so that the review remains spoiler free! 

Mara Dyer is one of my favorite series! I fell in love with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer in an instant (clue: it starts off with a Ouija board. You know that books that start off with Ouija boards are awesome by association). It's sequel did not disappoint! Thank goodness it's not one of those great series with awful sequels! I couldn't stand for any part the series to be ruined like that! I spent a majority of my Christmas book money on it, and I don't regret it a bit.

I love the idea behind this series. It's different and at first I simply couldn't figure out what was really going on! (I'm still a bit confused to be honest.) And while this book gives the readers some more answers, I'm still begging for more! The suspense made me want to just flip to the end of the book to find out what happens! (Which I couldn't do, because that would be awful!)

I absolutely adore the cast of characters in this series. Mara is one of my favorite protagonists and narrators. She has actual flaws and is doing great in the situation she's put in. A strong and realistic heroine is the best kind of heroine! While I'm not falling head over heels for Noah, I have to say I like him more now. This book gives a deeper look into his world and you can really tell how much he loves Mara. I'm also very fond of the side characters. Daniel and Joseph seem like great brothers and Jamie is hilarious! Even the antagonists have my mind reeling. (What is their deal!? They make me so mad!)

The only reason I didn't give this book five stars is that even though it has some great scenes, there are some that are only OK. Those scenes didn't make my interest waver, though. In fact I had half the mind to curl up in my corner, read all day, and possibly hiss at anyone who interrupted.

Katie told me that this book would make me angry but that the book itself was great. She's true to her word because I didn't want the book to end the way it did! I don't want Mara going through what she does! Can't she and Noah just be happy? Why must you play with our emotions like they're silly putty, Michelle Hodkin? I'm so excited for the third book and finally put an end to all of my questions! So looking for some excellent YA to place on your to-read shelf? The two books in this series are a great start!

Palak

No comments:

Post a Comment