Friday, January 25, 2013

Mini Reviews: Heist Society and Team Human

So lately I've had a bit of an odd predicament. I've gotten a bit tangled up in unfinished reviews. I've read some great books but for some reason I can't get my words out! In turn, this not very lazy person has started, wait for it, procrastinating. Insert epiphany: MINI REVIEWS! Now I don't want to take credit for this or anything cause I've seen them around but I have no idea who first came out with it (or even if it was a single source). Please excuse me if you think these reviews are a *bit* scattered, I have to control the impulse to write paragraphs to make this short and simple!

Heist Society (Heist Society, #1)Title: Heist Society
Author: Ally Carter
Publisher: Hyperion
Date released: February 9th, 2010
Pages: 287

Katarina Bishop's whole family are basically con artists. She's pulled the biggest con of her life, scamming her way into boarding school to escape. But after she's expelled for something she didn't do for once, she comes to discover that there's a dangerous man who's priceless paintings have been stolen and Kat's father is his main suspect. Now she'll have to pull one of the biggest heists in her family's history and steal them back. 

Heist Society came to me as a huge surprise! It's a fun, fast, and light read and I have a desperate craving to get my hands on the sequel! I loved the characters and the fast paced setting! I can confidently say I haven't read any book like this one and didn't think that I'd enjoyed it as much as I did. Heist Society is one of my infamous impulse buys and I didn't even feel like reading it for months. Now that I finally got around to doing it, gosh do I feel awful for waiting so long!

Team HumanTitle: Team Human
Authors: Justine Larebalestier, Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date released: July 3rd, 2012
Pages: 352

When a vampire shows up at Mel's school, her best friend Cathy can't help but fall in love with him. Now Mel doesn't like vampires, and she just knows she has to stop her best friend from ruining her life. She's also trying to solve the mysterious disappearance of her other friend's father when he supposedly runs away with a vampire. Little does she know what she's in store for. 

I have to be honest when I say I expected more from Team Human. Don't get me wrong, it's a good read, just not as spectacular as I expected. I've heard that the two authors are incredibly hilarious and amazing (I know from firsthand YALLFest experience that Sarah Rees Brennan is quite the personality). What I loved was the story idea. A world where vampires are actually accepted and hold a fairly ordinary part of daily role in the world is something like I've never read! Team Human will give you bursts of laughter and for a change you just might not fall for the sophisticated vampire, but rather a strange human boy raised by them.

- Palak

No comments:

Post a Comment