Friday, October 26, 2012

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2)Publisher: Hyperion
Released: October 4th 2011
Pages: 521 (Hardcover)
Cover: 3/5 Stars
Plot: 4/5 Stars

*Spoiler alert: This is the second book in the Heroes of Olympus series.

Percy Jackson has no recollection of his former life. The only thing that keeps him going is the name: Annabeth. After escaping two gorgons, he makes his way to Camp Jupiter, a place for children of Roman gods. 

Hazel Levesque isn't supposed to be alive. She was dead, that is, until her brother brought her back. Everyday she lives in guilt, and fear that she may hurt someone else.

Frank Zhang is a bit of a klutz. He's not very good at anything, with the exception of archery. So far he just doesn't feel like he fits in, and he just hopes he doesn't make a fool of himself... especially in front of his best friend, Hazel.

These three unlikely heroes make their way to Alaska, a land beyond the gods, on a mission to free Death so they have a chance of saving their camp. But will they be able to make it?

Wha- did you read correctly? PERCY JACKSON? But-but I thought his books were over! Well, he's back, folks! I've held off reading Son of Neptune for a while, and I have to say I regret it. Rick Riordan is at his finest! If he ever writes a bad book, then the sky just might turn purple or something.

Percy Jackson is only one of the heroes in this book. At first, this bummed me out because just when I thought Percy's journeys were over and when I found out he was coming back, I wanted the WHOLE book to be his narrative. But what I didn't expect is how amazing the other two characters are! They're so strong, brave, and overall fantastic heroes! You certainly won't find yourself missing Percy's voice throughout the book too much.

Even though Percy Jackson made a comeback in this book, it felt different than his old ones. He doesn't have many memories of his past, and his snarkiness is an all-time low. Though he did provide a few laughs in this book, but it wasn't as gut bursting hilarious as his last series. This was a major let down for me. Possibly it's the amnesia and the fact that the book isn't only his POV.

I really loved how Rick Riordan brought in the world of Roman mythology into the story. We all know and have read about our Greek heroes at Camp Half Blood, and now we get Camp Jupiter. And Camp Jupiter is just as I imagined: a bit more strict, like the Romans themselves. Instead of getting us all confused, he combined the two worlds.

If you loved anything of Rick Riordan's, you should really give Son of Neptune a shot. Don't get me wrong: I really liked this book, but I for one am ready for something new. I do hear that he's going to start a Norse mythology series next... can't wait!

Palak

No comments:

Post a Comment