Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

THIS IS A SEQUEL!!!! READ FIRST BOOK FIRST!!!!

Can true love be forgotten?
As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.
Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.
As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos. 

Okay!! I have been DYING for this sequel for like a year, and it has finally come from the heavens unto my hands. Dreamless is the sequel to Starcrossed (you can see my review in the Reviews tab), and frankly, Starcrossed wasn't the best book I read. Even though, it wasn't that great, it had a great plot idea and left me craving for Dreamless. These books follow Helen, the modern day Helen of Troy, and all of her struggles to keep a second Trojan War from happening.


Dreamless sets up a nice love triangle. You may be rolling your eyes and saying,"Yuck!! Love triangles are horrible!", but this one actually isn't bad. It's quite well composed which is a great compliment from me who is sick and tired of love triangles. The two boys are Lucas (the modern day Paris) and Orion ( a great and powerful warrior). Both of these boys are hunks of delectable manliness and are sure to satisfy any swooning hearts out there. There's also this insanely creepy ant/man thing, but we won't go there.

Helen spends most of her time in the Underworld because she was pegged the Descender. The Descender is can go into the Underworld in their sleep, and Helen uses this advantage to find a way to get rid of the Furies (These sisters who cast a curse of demigods because of the Trojan War) so the curse will be broken. That ends up being WAY more difficult than she bargained for.

When I reviewed Starcrossed, I was pretty harsh, but Dreamless has cured any bad blood between me and these books. This book has to be the best comeback I've ever read, and I couldn't be any more impressed than I already am. But, alas, I have to wait who knows how long until the next book, last in the series, comes out. Just perfect......

Cover: 3/5 stars (I would have liked it more if I hadn't looked at it so closely and saw a really creepy picture of Helen's face staring at me...)
Plot: 5/5 stars!!!
-Katie

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I have not patiently waited for this book, but it was SO WORTH IT! I loved it! There is a new dynamic in the story and boy is he hot!!! The book fills in some back-story, which I appreciated and felt it was needed and not wordy. The story flowed and didn't have the "draggy" parts that I often skim over. Only thing is now I have to wait for the final book in the trilogy and oooh is it going to be a good one! To keep me over I'm going to re-read the books! Very nice, Ms. Angelini, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed 100%! I wasn't crazy about the first, but I'm in love with the series after this book! Thanks for reading!!! -Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete