Friday, June 15, 2012

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Reviewed by: Palak
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: February 22nd, 2011
Pages: 320 (Hardcover)
Cover: 2/5 Stars
Plot: 3/5 Stars


Ari has always been different. Her moonlight hair and teal eyes attracted attention, and it wasn't long before she realized it was the wrong kind. Her whole life she's bounced around in foster care, and searching for her parents brought a whole new kind of danger. Her mother had killed herself, hallucinated snakes they said. She left her one message: run. Now Ari has to go to her birthplace, New 2, to uncover more about herself... and her curse. What she never realized is that she's bought the attention of a great, ancient evil.

Darkness Becomes Her was a very intriguing read. I can say for certain that I've never in all my years of reading have read anything like it. The book for me dragged on at first, but halfway though it finally caught my interest. The origin of Ari's curse will be a obvious, yet a unique twist!

When New Orleans is demolished by hurricanes, the city is rebuilt as the infamous New 2. There are strange things that go on there, and it's rumored that paranormals and things that go bump in the night reside there. Kelly Keaton makes the city come to life with her gorgeous imagery. New 2 is just the city I would love to visit: an air of something old, yet still a decayed beauty.

Ari has had a hard life, and that led her to be very mature for her age. She's bold and fearless. But when it comes to kick butt heroines, she wasn't especially extraordinary, but rather a bit predictable. I as the reader wasn't too captivated by her character.

If it's one thing that pushed me to give this book it's third star was the fact that there's a masquerade ball! I mean people, we are set in the renovated New Orleans: home of Mardi Gras! Of course there's going to be a masquerade! I loved the setting the author created, it was haunting and surreal. It's the part of the book which finally got my attention.

Sebastian and Ari's relationship seemed to be forced. They barely knew each other, yet the suck face on the first day? Not okay. I would like to see more development in the future as they get to know each other. But for now, I'll be complacent with my silent complaints.

Darkness Becomes Her has it's heart in the right place, but is a bit of a confused novel. By this I mean to say too many things are clashing. I don't know how to explain this without spoilers, but trust me. I enjoy paranormal novels, and I enjoy mythology retake novels, but when they're put together it's a recipe for disaster. *Spoiler starts* I have to get this out! Reading Athena curse (yes, I mean swear) was very unhinging! Foreign to the ears. *Spoiler ends* So if you're willing to put up with that, then this book is totally worth a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment