Monday, June 18, 2012

The Book of Luke by Jenny O'Connel

Emily Abbott has always been considered the Girl Most Likely to Be Nice -- but lately being nice hasn't done her any good. Her parents have decided to move the family from Chicago back to their hometown of Boston in the middle of Emily's senior year. Only Emily's first real boyfriend, Sean, is in Chicago, and so is her shot at class valedictorian and early admission to the Ivy League. What's a nice girl to do?
Then Sean dumps Emily on moving day and her father announces he's staying behind in Chicago "to tie up loose ends," and Emily decides that what a nice girl needs to do is to stop being nice.
She reconnects with her best friends in Boston, Josie and Lucy, only to discover that they too have been on the receiving end of some glaring Guy Don'ts. So when the girls have to come up with something to put in the senior class time capsule, they know exactly what to do. They'll create a not-so-nice reference guide for future generations of guys -- an instruction book that teaches them the right way to treat girls.
But when her friends draft Emily to test out their tips on Luke Preston -- the hottest, most popular guy in school, who just broke up with Josie by email -- Emily soon finds that Luke is the trickiest of test subjects . . . and that even a nice girl like Emily has a few things to learn about love.

Ok girls, this is the pretty good summer read for some of you romantics. The thing about summer reads is that I like them to be light and fluffy like this story.

I have to say, I've been tempted to try to change some of the boys at my school, but as soon as I read this book, I couldn't believe how bad of an idea it would be. First off, Emily is a bit pig-headed on certain things. she just won't let things go and admit she's wrong. It's almost unbelievable. I understand that broken hearts hurt and all, but you should have a little dignity, grace, and poise anyway (Oh. My. Word. I sound like Emily's mother....). And for 18, all of the teenage characters in this story are pretty stereotyped and immature. Especially Josie. She hates Luke, but if Luke changes after he cheated on her, she'd take him back. Ummmmmm....

The romance in this book is all right. Not swoon worthy, but it is real. I mean that as the dates would be the kind of dates regular teenagers would go on. And that's not really....romantic. And I say, Luke is actually a pretty bad guy in a way. Sure there's a decent guy that is a pretty good boyfriend, but compared to other, better, guys, he's not very great. Maybe that's just my opinion though.Also, this book had the weirdest effect on me that I've never felt reading any other book. The Book of Luke made me hate boys. Most of this book just pointed out flaws in the male gender, and I have to admit, as a lady, I was fed up with all this guy behavior. And I got mad that even an okay guy like Luke will still not give me a lot of depth in a relationship. Oh joy! So, if you freaking mad at a guy for some reason, this book is definitely for you because you can get even madder and have like a bonfire with your friends and burn your, let's say, ex's stuff. 

 Overall, I think that the book is well written, and definitely something that can keep you relaxed at the beach. so, by all means, go check it out. That is if you want to feel loathing against the male species. But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing because as the story progresses,you'll feel more woman power and you won't let any guy walk all over you anymore. So in a way, it helps the female gender know what is right and what is wrong in guys which can come in handy.

Cover: 3/5 stars (Oh what a sexy back Luke has *rolls eyes*. And they didn't even Go to a dock in the book....so......where does that come from....They're in Boston for Pete's sake. Where's the water?!)
Plot: 3/5 stars
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment