Friday, May 18, 2012

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Reviewed by: Palak
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Release date: December 22nd, 2009
Pages:372 (Hardcover)
Cover: 4.5/5 Stars
Plot: 5/5 Stars


    When Grace's brother Jude comes home one night covered in his own blood, she knows something terrible must have happened. But her family never tells her. That was the night her neighbor Daniel Kalbi disappeared. Now he's back. Despite her brother's warnings to stay away from him, she can't control the attraction she has towards him. Grace knows she's going to have to dig into the secrets her family has kept hidden for the last few years, and find out what really happened that night. But she has no idea what twisted fate is in store for her. But to save the boy she loves, she just might have to make the ultimate sacrifice... her soul.

    The Dark Divine was a fantastic book! For me, it was completely captivating! Its one of those books that you can't put down and fly by so fast that you didn't even realize you finished it. I was so interested in finding out what Daniel really was, but I can't say it was hard to guess. But keep in mind before you let out a frustrated groan at its ubiquity that the author takes a fresh new spin to it!

    Grace was a great heroine and narrator. She's the pastor's daughter, so you can imagine how it all starts. She has so many standards set for her that it makes your head spin. Yet she still has that rebellious nature we so often find in ourselves, and I found it so easy to relate to her. And of course - she falls in love with someone she knows she isn't supposed to! She's confused and has torn alliances, it made me curious to see what side she would give into at the end.

    I also have my eyes set out for the love interest, if you know what I mean! To think, after falling so hard for the Herondales that I would grow tired of angst. But alas, NO! Daniel charmed me even with his hackneyed profile as a brooding guy who is harboring a dark secret. He's incredibly sweet and an overall dynamic character.

    The Dark Divine is a dark and enthralling novel that is one of my new favorites. The author blends a perfect combination of a doomed romance and paranormal thriller. I have a feeling that this series is going to get even better!


No comments:

Post a Comment