Friday, April 27, 2012

Matched by Ally Condie

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


This was one out of three books that I got for my birthday that I've never read. Usually I get amazing books that I've already read and read through my favorite parts again, but I was running out of ideas so I took a risk of asking for books I haven't read. Ladies and gentlemen, this is why I don't do this. It was only so-so.

Matched sounded very intriguing, action packed, romantic, like Divergent or The Hunger Games, alas, it was not. There are two words I can use to describe this book: weak and flimsy. Now I might be a little harsh because it had some fairly good parts and I do absolutely want to read the sequel, but there were just too many pages filled with boring, awkward situations. A lot of scenes were similar, romantic details were slim, the main "heroine" hardly acts, and by the time I was finished, I never wanted to hear/see the phrase Do not go gentle ever again (when you read the book, you'll understand).

What was also poor about this book is that nothing very exciting happens until way into the middle of the story. Also what I absolutely loathed is that the beginning of the book was filled with objects, situations, and people that wasn't explained yet. How on Earth am I supposed to comprehend, enjoy, or know what the heck is happening if they aren't explained to me?

Let's sprinkle some sugar on all this bitter right quick. Once I knew what was going on, this book wasn't half bad. Definitely not the best book I've ever read but it was pleasant I guess. Cassia (by the way, I love the name) is one of those characters that feels so deeply. This is really rare and magnificent in a place where people aren't given much freedom. Sure she doesn't act on her emotions very much, but she feels... Also Cassia's and Ky's relationship is so different from anything you'll find in other books. They are forbiddingly in love, one decides the other's fate, and the bond over nature, poetry, and all the other illegal stuff they're deprived of. They're such rebels. Also there was this one paragraph from the book that I loved! It is "Our time together feels like a storm, like wild wind and rain, like something too big to handle but too powerful to escape. It blows around me and tangles my hair, leaves water on my face, makes me know that I am alive, alive, alive. There are moments of calm and pause as there are in every storm, and moments when our words fork lightening, at least for each other."

Ok, so here's the deal. This is all up to you; I'm not gonna beg on my knees for you to read it, but I will say with a little tenderness that you should try it. Like I said before, It's not the best book ever but it's a pleasant read. I also am kinda anxious for the sequel, and I guess that's a good sign.     Plot: 3/5 stars    Cover: 1.5/5 stars    -Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment