Monday, March 5, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Publication date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Pages: 318
Hazel has cancer. She is diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and barely scrapes by with the "miracle" that keep her tumors in line. When her mother thinks she has become depressed, she sends her off to a therapy group that meets at the "Literal Heart of Jesus." Of course Hazel thinks its a waste of time.... until she meets Augustus Waters. He is handsome, in remission, and he actually likes her. She has no idea how much he will turn her life upside down.

   The Fault in Our Stars is one of the best and most memorable books I have ever read. It is so well written. I devoured page by page, and when I reached the end, I wasn't able to believe it. This book was literally brimming with so much insight and perspective then I have ever read in one place! My words can not even begin to glorify this book.

   Hazel and Augustus go so perfectly together. They are so alike and I felt like they were made for each other. (Excuse my cliche, but I honestly think that description fits them perfectly!) Their banter is hilarious and can make you smile even in the darkest parts of the books. The book is pretty much centered around their relationship. Normally I would hate that, but their sublime friendship and personalities kept the story interesting.

   Despite this book's theme, it wasn't all depressing. It kept on the bright side of things, and I found myself smiling until the very end. But I have to be honest, some parts were a bit maudlin. It kept the book real. Even those readers that tend to stick to cheerful books will find themselves captivated by John Green's masterpiece. (YES, I go as far as to call it that!) When I finished, I had this lingering sense; a feeling of gratitude for my life. I really hope I persuaded you to read this. And if I didn't, I say you read it anyway!

-Palak
Plot: 5/5 stars
Cover: 4.5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. This book is not only for the young set. There is great benefit to all who read this. It’s not only about two teens battling cancer; it’s about a lesson to all of us to live our lives every day, every minute. We should be thankful for this time especially if we are lucky enough to find love and be capable of giving. This story is beautiful, funny, heartbreaking and poignant. Gus and Hazel made me laugh, cry, laugh all over again, and cry yet again. I’m still crying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but agree! The book makes you appreciate life and all the little great things about it. It really makes you feel so many emotions, doesn't it? I am not over it yet either! I just really wanted to mention their relationship because it stood out to me over all the others I've read about in the past. Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete