Friday, February 10, 2012

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Evermore is about a girl named Ever whose family has died in a tragic accident. She miraculously survived, but a “price” came with that. She now has powers. She can read a person’s mind, see their auras, and discover their past with contact. When she meets Damen, everything she knows will change, and she finally understands.

  Normally a teen would be absolutely psyched to have powers, but not Ever. She whines and just wishes she could be “normal.” The characters were not very well defined or inspiring. Especially Ever. I understand that she has been through a lot and her believing that her family’s death is her fault can be a serious burden. But one thing she does to drown out her powers is unbelievably unacceptable. I would also like it if she faced her problems in a more pragmatic way then changing her whole personality and being borderline depressed.

  One thing I really liked about the whole story is the whole “immortals idea.” Alyson Noel uses the concept in a different way. I’m not sure how, but when I faced it, it felt unique. I would really like to read more about that.

  Another thing I would like to rant about is that this book falls under the “my lover is immortal/ impractically older than me” cliché. Hush, Hush; Fallen; and Twilight are prime examples of this. It just kind of creeps me out. Ever and Damen's relationship felt dull. There was no spark, it just seemed like she was fascinated by his beauty and his enigmatic life.

  I did not really enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. The story progresses slowly and doesn’t have many heights of climax. Maybe it becomes more interesting as the series goes on, but I am uncertain if I will be picking up the others. Please remember just because I didn't like this book, it doesn't mean that you won't too. :)  -Palak
 Plot: 2.5 stars
Cover: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment