Friday, January 13, 2012

Starcrossed By Josephine Angelini

How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart. 

This book intrigues me. It has a brilliant plot line; two people who have never met have the savage urge to kill each other. And not to mention, I'm a sucker for stories on Helen of Troy. Unfortunately, like most good stories, I find something wrong. There is just too much of this book! This book drones on and on about small things. Then in an effort to make the droning make sense, the author adds more antagonists (If you read the last review, you know that irks me).
Even though I have found these flaws, I'm at war with myself. This book has a great figure underneath all that fat (If you know what I mean). Lucas is an amazing guy I would kill to date and this story can be funny, intense, and sweet. The characters are easy to relate to and the author knows how to use words against you. I wasn't as impressed at first, but slowly I found myself dying to get it for Christmas (and I did!) So in the end I want you readers to give it a try. This book is the only one out there like it and it does do a decent job holding that burden. Meanwhile, I am eagerly awaiting the sequel...   Plot: 4/5 stars  Cover: 4.5/5 stars    -Katie

1 comment:

  1. Starcrossed is a fantastic story full of mysteries and loveable characters that make it hard to put this novel down and you will constantly wish that you could read faster so you'll know if everyone will be okay in the end. And then, when you finally know how this novel ends, you wish you could already possess the sequel Dreamless.

    What drew me in about this story, was the fact that this is based on Greek mythology and I really, really love it. There is just something special about those stories of ancient gods, goddesses and their heroes that never fails to fascinate me. And Josephine incorporated this perfectly into the story and whenever I read a name that was familiar, I squealed like a little girl.

    I admit that in the beginning it seems to be a little similar to Twilight. You have a huge, mysterious family and a very shy, young girl and some quite dangerous aspects to the love story. But once I got into the story, I realized how much more detailed this is, how carefully built this novel is and how much I really love it.

    ReplyDelete