Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes

When Wesley Boone writes a poem for his high school English class and reads it aloud, poetry-slam-style, he kicks off a revolution. Soon his classmates are clamoring to have weekly poetry sessions. One by one, eighteen students take on the risky challenge of self-revelation. Award-winning author Nikki Grimes captures the voices of eighteen teenagers through the poetry they share and the stories they tell, and exposes what lies beneath the skin, behind the eyes, beyond the masquerade.

  Recently I was assigned this book to read for a class project and I thought it would suck, honestly. But I was really impressed. This book is so real and so touching that you feel like you are personally taking a peek into the lives of people you just pass on the street. his book is mainly poetry but the poetry is so amazing; I remember sitting on my bed reading it and thinking "Oh my gosh. This is so incredible." I recommend this book to teenagers especially because it shows you that you aren't alone and sometimes that means everything. Plot: 4/5 stars  Cover: 3/5 stars   -Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment