Friday, August 3, 2012

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Publisher: Hyperion
Released:
Pages: 323 (Paperback)

Sophie Mercer found out she was a witch when she was twelve. After three years and one love spell gone horribly wrong at prom, she's landed herself in Hex Hall, a reform school for Prodigium ( witches, warlocks, fairies, and shapeshifters). On her first day, she's found herself despised by three powerful witches who could easily pass for supermodels, a roomate who's a vampire named Jenna whom everyone hates, a ghost who may be following her, and a hopeless crush on resident swoony warlock, Archer Cross. 


When something begins attacking students, the prime suspect is Sophie's new best friend, Jenna. Soon, she'll find out there's a secret society determined to wipe out all Prodigium, and she can't trust anyone. She's tangled up in a sinister plot, but will she be able to stop it before it's too late?


I've heard a lot of great things about Hex Hall. When I saw it in the book store, it even had a "staff favorite" sticker on it! But I really had no idea how much I would love this book! Not to mention that I caught a Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference weaseled into the book. ("Geeky" references are always good with me!)

Sophie Mercer is your average girl - mystical powers aside. From the first few pages, I had already grown to like her character. She's sarcastic and always has a witty comeback, and this made her so much more amiable. Even through tough times, she always manages to bounce back with a snide remark! Sophie was so easy to relate to and made the book 100% more fun to read.

Hecate Hall, aka, Hex Hall, is a reform school for Prodigium who's powers prove a "danger" to others and themselves. Was it too much to hope that it would be a bit like Hogwarts? Alas, it was for naught. But I won't deny that Hex Hall had it's own charm, and was a good overall setting for the book! In fact, I really wish that the author had gone more in depth to the school!

My loudest complaint is that this book was far too short. I finished it in a day, and still crave to get my hands the sequel! (Side note: the whole series has been published already.) I liked how the author built the book's foundation, but left many questions hanging after the book's resolution. Hex Hall is the perfect set up as the first book in a series, and I for one am excited to see where it goes.



Cover: 3/5 Stars (I like the whole reflection thing, but I didn't believe it looked good as a whole. Also, where in this book does it mention a black cat?!) 
Plot: 5/5 Stars
-Palak


No comments:

Post a Comment