Friday, July 27, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love


Ladies and Gentleman, sorry that I have been lacking in my posts. To make it up to you, I have a great book! Delirium is the last book I got for my birthday that I haven't read yet. The first 2 books (Matched, The Book of Luke) had not lived up to my expectations, but this one did!!

Delirium is a story about a society that treats love like the Swine Flu. It's sickly fascinating how characters act without love in their lives, and it makes me very glad I have been awarded the privilege of being able to love. Most everyone in this book is gloomy, detached, and frustratingly stubborn. Therefore, it is very sad for readers to experience. 

Lena is a very nice character. She always hopes to be rid of love because it "ruined" her mother, so she is blissfully naive. But then she meets Alex. Alex is a fantastic character, I can't get enough of him. He is polite, handsome, sweet, deep, funny, etc. etc. He is the guy everyone (who wants love) wants. Still, Lena digs her heels in, but when she finally loses her grip, she is transformed into an insanely fascinating and moving character. All her efforts are given for her happiness which is a big deal in her society.  Ahhhh, plus all these romantic scenes does a lot f good for your heart! Swoon worthy!

Delirium is a lot like Matched (see previous reviews). Their societies are a lot a like and they both have great similarities, but let me tell you that in my opinion Delirium is twice the book Matched is. There is just So much more to be in love with!

So, overall, I am very pleased with this book. I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't gotten enough of the distopian society books.

Cover: 3/5 stars
Plot: 4/5 stars
-Love, Katie     

No comments:

Post a Comment