Monday, May 28, 2012

A Brilliant Conundrum: Sherlock Series 2

    Photo Source: Sherlock's Wikipedia page

From the very lovely people from BBC who brought us Doctor Who, we have a brilliant series titled: SHERLOCK! Possibly British people just do television better. Lately, I've been obsessed (it's a three patch problem). And after the heart wrenching finale of the second season, I just knew I had to spread the word. The mini-series is based on the classic Sherlock Holmes novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but set in the twenty-first century. Now excusez-moi if I go overboard on the compliments. Because yes... I without a doubt will.

"Shut up everybody, shut up! Don't move, don't speak, don't breathe, I'm trying to think. Anderson, face the other way, you're putting me off."

Benedict Cumberbatch (love the name!) plays a very sociopathic adaption of our timeless consulting detective. He does an incredibly brilliant job with his role, and I say that reason alone is good enough to watch the show! Sherlock is a guy who obviously didn't have many friends as a child. He's reclusive and a self proclaimed high-functioning sociopath. I love watching how he handles situations in his trademark way. Deduction levels are at an ALL TIME high! John isn't the only one in awe of his genius. And yes, I acknowledge that he's a bit of a jerk, but you won't be able to do little other then love him!

"Listen, what I said before, John, I meant it. I don't have friends; I just have one."

One of my favorite parts of this show are the relationships! Sherlock and John, Sherlock and Moriarty, Sherlock and giant hound, Sherlock and Irene Adler.... we are just up to our necks in fantastic character bonds! The dynamic duo Sherlock and John have a connection that can bring tears into your eyes. Now a lot of the fandom is chanting, "why, they're obviously madly in love with each other! Smooches all around!". But I take a different approach to their relationship. I think that they bring our the best in each other. They give the show an extra jolt of life. (As if it needed it!)
 
"Every fairy tale needs a good old- fashioned villain."

Oh why Moriarty, your words ring so true! I couldn't imagine this season without the criminal mastermind Moriarty. As much as I want to hate him, he's too much of a good villain! (Haha good villains.. get it... it's an oxymoron. No? Okay!) Moriarty isn't just a mundane old bad guy, he loves to play games. And the truth is, he's kind of psycho. Don't get me wrong, I love arch-enemies that have Stayin' Alive as their ringtone and blow raspberries into the air. He's the spine tingling "WHAT'S HE GOING TO DO NEXT? I NEED TO KNOW!" kind of guy, and always manages to surprise me.

"I like detective stories. And detectives... Brainy is the new sexy."

I adored how the writers gave the show so much character. At first, I was a bit bummed that they didn't really stick to the stories that well. But then I realized that it was the genius of it. The show is set in the twenty first century, so naturally they have to take the original stories and turn them into something contemporary. I loved picking up the little things! My favorite part about mysteries is how everything comes together at the end. Like a puzzle: the picture may not seem clear at first, but as you add more you discover something beautiful. Everything comes into the light. Of course, I sometimes feel like a dolt for not figuring out things! That's the key about the show: it makes you think.

I suppose I have to include some form of negative criticism *sigh*. My only complaint is that I won't get to see new episodes for so long! I don't think I was built to wait for excessive periods of time. Meanwhile, I'll just eagerly wait for The Hobbit to come out since it has both Martin Freeman AND Benedict Cumberbatch in it! If my incessant doting won't convince you to watch this show, you have no idea what you're missing out on!

Palak


No comments:

Post a Comment