Monday, May 7, 2012

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Reviewed by: Palak
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Release Date: April 29th, 2008
Pages: 266 (Hardcover)
Cover: 5/5 Stars
Plot: 3.5/5 Stars

    Seventeen- year- old Jenna Fox has recently awoken from a coma in which she was trapped for a year. She hasn't held on to any of her memories, and she doesn't know who she really is. But she comes to learn questioning comes with its own price. Who...or what... is Jenna Fox?

    The Adoration of Jenna Fox came to me as a total surprise! The book goes places I quite frankly had no idea they would go. While this book didn't particularly have my chasing after my heart, it wasn't a total waste of paper. (Note: NO BOOKS ARE A WASTE OF PAPER! I most certainly wasn't trying to imply something like so!) This book was one I felt wishy-washy about. Overall, it dragged a fair bit, but the plot twist made up for it!

    The Adoration of Jenna Fox is set up years in the future. I won't tell you much about it. Why you ask? In the words of River Song from Doctor Who, "SPOILERS". I have a way of unintentionally giving away clues to the exciting parts of the book. If I let something slip, I might give away all the shocking plot twists! But let me tell you: the idea was fresh and intriguing. When I found out what was really going on, the story won me over.

    One thing that bugged me was the fact that I wasn't able to relate to Jenna. She's a bit distant from herself. I couldn't relate what she went through and so I couldn't fully immerse myself in the curious world of Jenna Fox. First she has to establish her own (new?) personality, and in ways, she does. When she lets all the pressure of being adored go, she becomes far more independent.

    The romance elements in this book weren't as prominent as far as young adult novels go. Nowadays, 99% of YA literature will be centered around romance. The Adoration of Jenna Fox is more gravitating towards Jenna, her life, and discovering who she is. So as far as I go... no complaints! But for those of you pouting lovers lovers out there, don't make this fact skeptical of this book.

    This book was wrapped in science fiction, intrigue, and realistic fiction. YAY FOR STEREOTYPE BREAKERS! Even though I didn't enjoy this book as much as I might have, it was more of the story itself that won me over. If you contemplate putting it down because of it's slow progression, keep that in mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment