Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Publication date: February 1st, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 363


Meghan Chase couldn't being to fathom how much her life would change on her sixteenth birthday. It starts with her usually goofy best friend being overprotective and strange, and her brother acting devilish. It's because he is not her brother. She goes to the faerie world to save him, but she has no idea what she got herself into. She turns out to be the daughter of the presumed mythical king, and suddenly everyone wants to capture her. She soon comes to discover that she is worth so much more then she believes, and the fate of the faery world rests in her hands.

This book was so much better then I originally expected it to be! The plot had captured me right from the start! The only other book centered solely around faeries I picked up was Wicked Lovely, and it was a bit of a train wreck. It is one of the few books I put down, so I was skeptical. But in turn got a captivating book with brilliant characters and a whole new enchanted world to vicariously live through!

The characters of the Iron King were very well rounded. I loved their personalities and relationship with each other. Meghan was brave and determined, Puck was witty and light hearted, Ash was somewhat of an enigma, and I adored Grimalkin! I think that the characters have so much influence on how much the reader enjoys the book, and these characters were really amiable.

The Iron Kind was a unique and creative read. Its the first of the Iron Fey series. Despite the little side note on the cover about romance, the story was focused more on Meghan's quest. But don't let that discourage you, YA lovers! The series is just beginning, and I have a feeling the romance is going to get far more indulgent! I highly recommend this book to any reader that likes a good adventure!

-Palak
Plot: 4/5 stars
Cover: 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment