Monday, February 20, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

His grandfather's cryptic final words, a face that haunts him in the dark, and a mysterious letter. This is what takes Jacob to the island where his grandfather grew up. As he explores the abandoned orphanage, he soon comes to discover that not only were the children peculiar, they might still be alive. Is everything a stress-induced dream, or will Jacob's worst nightmares come to life?

    This book was spectacular! It was one of the most unique stories I have ever read! Ransom Riggs has created a world of his own. I loved reading the atmosphere that he brought to life. I also don't stumble upon a lot of male protagonists or male authors in YA, so this book was clearly a fresh perspective for me. It was totally different witnessing the world through Jacob's eyes!

    This book has pictures! I'm not talking about your run-of-the-mill drawn illustrations, but actual vintage photography. All the pictures featured in this book are real! They made the book come alive. Some, like the one on the cover, (I feel a bit slow since it took me forever to realize she was levitating!) will really make you wonder....  I have never experienced anything like it before, and you can bet I fell in love with the concept.

    I adore how the story builds up. The writer didn't give away too much in the beginning (or the middle for that matter!) This element really is perfect for letting you ponder over the pages you've read. It may have a slow pace, but I promise the finale is worth waiting for!

    I highly recommend this to any reader who is looking for something new and cutting edge. The story builds up well, the characters are out of this world, and the cliffhanger will leave you breathless and craving for more.

-Palak :)
Plot: 4 stars
Cover: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment