Friday, December 9, 2011

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

From Goodreads: Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything"—at least that's the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf's Department Store.This year, she's the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling. With Owen's help,maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.
When I first picked up this book, I had incredibly low expectations. But it was recommended by a great friend, so I gave it a shot. This book turned out to be quite brilliant! Sarah Dessen is now my favorite author in a genre I'm not usually a fan of. The truth is, this book felt... real. Not one of those perky, sugarcoated stories in which the character has a perfect life or a cliched problem. This was actually practical! Not to mention I loved the leading female character! (See Katie, it is possible:D) If you want to take a break and want to read something new (and possibly lighter than other things out there..) this is the book to go to. :) -Palak:)
3.5 Stars!

2 comments:

  1. The book had a powerful bond towards me; it moved me emotionally, it captured my mind and made me think. Not all things are made out what you may think. Look beyond the picture and read the meaning of the picture. Look beyond their mistakes and listen to their choices. I have a new perspective of how I should live my life and this book inspires me. Listen to what I have to say and I'll listen to you, I'll listen to what you have to say and listen to me. Just listen and than you'll understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! This book was amazing, and now I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan! :)
    Palak

    ReplyDelete